Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Repollo

The other day I *very randomly* decided I was going to make a pickled cabbage salad (the kind that goes on top of pupusas or Honduran enchiladas).  In Honduras we just call this repollo (cabbage). 

I couldn't find a decent recipe online, and no one posted any helpful replies to my request on Facebook, so I decided to wing it. (Warning...I'm just guessing on the amounts here, I didn't really measure when I made it)

1/2 small cabbage
1/2 large carrot
1/4 onion
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup cold water
2 teaspoons dried oregano
sprinkle of chili powder
salt and pepper


I don't have a food processor, so I cut the small head of cabbage into quarters, and then sliced it thin on my mandoline slicer.  I did the same with a white onion, then I shredded half of a large carrot.


I mixed it all in a bowl, and then added the other ingredients.

I put it in a plastic dish and left it in the fridge overnight.  We had it last night with homemade chicken enchiladas (not to be confused with Mexican enchiladas - these are more like tostadas).

My husband was hesitant to try it (I'm a good cook when I follow recipes, but not very good at making things up haha) but LOVED it and even asked for tacos with it for dinner tonight.  I call that SUCCESS!


It might not seem like a big deal, but I felt like I really accomplished something big with this recipe.  Maybe I'm even feeling brave enough to attempt homemade tortillas next....

1 comment:

Jane and Douglas said...

Hey whatever happened to you and your adventures? What a cliffhanger!! Get back to it! :)