Wednesday, March 17, 2010

the end is in sight...

My first trimester teaching English at the university is almost over. Thank. you. sweet. Jesus.

Don't get me wrong, I like teaching! I do! And I like teaching English! And I like *most* of my ~80 students!

But good grief. When I am grading final projects and doing final oral evaluations and I hear something like this...

me: Describe your typical day.
student: Chicken.
me: What? Tell me about your typical day. What do you in a typical day?
student: Baleadas.

(from a level 2 student. not level 1, but level 2!)

Hellooooo. Have you not been listening to anything I said for the last 10 weeks?

It makes me want to scream! It makes me want to run far, far away! Thank GOD Semana Santa is almost here!!!

2 comments:

Alejandra said...

Sweety,
I`m sorry to say this, but most students take english because they have no choice, not because they want to learn anything... And most of them will be happy with just passing or they'd expect a good grade, because after all, it's just english...
Sad but true...

p.s. How's the baby?! :D

Hannah said...

Yes, I know. Most of my students were happy with their 61% passing grade. This student, however, will be taking English II again next period! haha