Monday, July 21, 2008

Estoy aqui!

I made it! Sorry I have been neglecting my blog...but I was taking a "vacation."

I'll try to sum up the last week in one blog, and I'll try my best to make it as short as possible. :)

Both of my flights (Nashville to Miami, and Miami to San Pedro Sula (SPS)) were fine. On the flight to SPS I sat next to an archeology student from Boston traveling to Copan to dig at a site of ruins for a month. She told me that she was supposed to have been on an early morning flight, and after it was delayed because of weather, she hadn't been able to reach anyone from Copan. No one knew that she had missed her flight, and when we arrived, there was no one there to pick her up.

Jose let her use his cell phone, and her professors in Copan told her to take a taxi to a hotel, and then travel by bus the next morning to Copan. SPS is one of the most dangerous cities in Honduras...and I was shocked that her professors had recommended taking a taxi by herself at night. I volunteered Jose and I to ride in the taxi with her, while Jose's friends followed us in his car. When we got to the hotel her prof's had recommended, there were no available rooms. We all piled into Jose's car (all 6 of us, plus 5 large suitcases) and drove to our hotel. She got the last room available, and was very grateful for our hospitality. She left us a note the next morning thanking us, and offering a free tour of the Mayan ruins in Copan.
Jose, his two friends, and I traveled back to Tegucigalpa the next morning. It was a surprisingly good drive...better than most of the roads I have traveled on in Central America. We got to stop at a road side vendor for some fresh pineapple (I looooove pineapple!).





So we arrived in Tegucigalpa last Wednesday. I spent most of the week unpacking, organizing, and cleaning. Jose's mom has horrible taste (shh don't tell her I said that) and so I brought all of my own bedding, etc. I think I did a pretty good job of transforming it into my own room...but there's only so much I can do. I should have taken before/after pictures, ha!

Now that I'm finally unpacked and settled, and I've finally visited/greeted all of Jose's friends and family....it's time to get down to business. :) This week I am going to find a job. Some of Jose's friends have worked at the European Academy before, and say that I can make decent money there teaching English. As a norteamericana (North American), I can probably make 75 lempiras an hour ($1 USD = $18.8969 HNL) or $3.96 USD an hour. It's a lot different from the US, right? :) And that's a GOOD job...I hate to think how the uneducated people of Honduras make a living.
Comments, questions? Let me know you're reading, please!

No comments: