Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Halloween!

I love Halloween. I mean, you already know about my love affair with fall, so isn't it kind of obvious?

When I was little, I loved trick or treating. Who doesn't like dressing up as a magical character and getting bags full of candy?

When I was 1 year old, I had what I think was a great costume. Of course, I don't remember it since I was only 1, but I love the story. :) My parents, on a tight budget since my mom was in college and they had a new baby, couldn't afford a store bought costume. So my mom got super creative and turned me into a bag of groceries. Meaning, she put me in a brown paper bag of groceries. Haha. The story ends tragically when one of my aunts asked if I was a bag of trash and broke my mother's heart. ;)

Some of the other costumes I remember from my childhood are a troll, gypsy, witch, karate girl, cowgirl...

Then when I was in 7th grade I decided that I was too old for trick or treating, so I stayed at home to hand out candy to the trick or treaters. That story also ends disastrously with me in tears and depressed that I didn't get to go out to get candy and that I was missing out on the best years of my life. Yes, I used those words. And yes, I was (*ahem* still am) a very dramatic child. I vowed to never miss another Halloween.

And I didn't. My best costume ever was in college when I dressed up as Chiquita Banana. (And who would have known that 7 years later I would be living in her "native country" the original Banana Republic? Is that fate or what?)

Of course, in college, I didn't actually go trick or treating. Instead, my roommates and I dressed up in our costumes and drank cocktails on the front porch and handed out candy to the kids. Which actually turned out to be way more fun than trick or treating. ;)

Anyway. Now I am here in Honduras...where there is no trick or treating. Que tragic! :(

So what's a girl to do?

Why, make her husband have a junk food and movie date of course. The evening will include Halloween candy/food and all of the non-scary Halloween classics. :) I'm thinking Hocus Pocus, Beetlejuice, and if I can find it on Isohunt, episodes of the old HBO series Tales from the Crypt.

What are YOU doing for Halloween, boils and ghouls? (ahaha, sorry, I couldn't resist)


UPDATE:
My mother read my post and posted this Halloween picture on Facebook for the world to see. It's of my brother and me in 1990. She says the Minnie costume is the only costume she ever made by hand. I think she did pretty good! :)

3 comments:

Live Simply Love Strongly said...

Taking my 2 year old bunny trick or treating!

The Shepherd's Journal said...

You were about 5 1/2 months when you were the bag of groceries. That is still my favorite costume, I might add! In 1990, you were Minnie Mouse. I just uploaded the only Halloween pic that I have of you to Facebook.

Fall is also my favorite time of year in the USA. I also miss seeing the multi-colored trees, visiting Jackson's Orchard, putting Pumpkins on the front porch, going to bonfires, wearing new fall clothes, and eating Nanny Faye's homemade vegetable soup with fried cornbread. The upside to being in Central America is we don't have a time change this weekend. I DO NOT miss this event!

Love your blog entry, but LOVE you more! Mom

The Shepherd's Journal said...

It just occurred to me that other people might misunderstand a comment that I put in the previous entry. The reason I have only one Halloween pic is that the other pics are at home in KY; this is the only scanned photo that I have on my computer in Costa Rica. I might not have made a bunch of cool and creative costumes during your childhood, but I at least have pics from each year.